Thursday, November 27, 2014

Returning the Favor

Last week was a week of ups and downs. The ups were HUGE our marching band went to the state marching band championships and just had an amazing time. Then there were the downs, having struggles with some non band students on campus who were giving me a hard time. In the middle of last week I received this email from a wise beyond his years recent graduate from ST. I thought it was timely to share today on Thanksgiving. I am not only thankful for all of the blessings I have in my life on this day but its the signs of gratitude no matter how big or small that pop up in my life throughout the year that make this profession so special.

So here's the email I received on Tuesday of last week.

Dear Ms. Bounds
I understand that this week has not begun in a positive manner. In addition to what's happened, I know this is a busy time of year for the program. I wanted to take time to remind you of things you've done for me, as well as many others. 


1. You pick good music to play......I truly appreciate your music selection. 


2. You've ingrainted in me to always wait until my instructor (music or otherwise) is finished speaking, before I pack up. 


3. You've taught me to have a pencil during rehearsal.

 
4. You've taught me to use that pencil during rehearsal. 


5. You've made sure I have a tuner.

 
6. You've made sure I have a tuner during rehearsal/practice.

 
7. You've made sure I use that tuner during rehearsal/practice. 


8. You've taught me that if I'm late, hustle. (I overslept today, and as I was running to class, I couldn't help but remember when I had to run to the field to be on time).

 
9. You've reminded me to be flexible like Gumby. (I need to work on this more). 


10. You've taught me that it takes approximately 7 minutes before your instrument fully warms up.

 
11. You've made sure I know what concert F is. 


12. You've made sure I know what concert A is. 


13. You've made sure I go out into the world with knowledge of jazz standards.


14. You've made sure I listen to jazz. 


Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your day!


No comments:

Post a Comment